Saturday, 21 September 2013

In Which I Attempt To Recreate A Vintage Pattern

(and humbly ask for your help!)

I think I've reached a point in my sewing career where I can attempt to make my own winter coat. I have gotten fed up of making do - a cosy coat with no hood, a rain coat with hood that leaves me to freeze in the frigid Scottish winter, and neither of them especially stylish or flattering. I basically want a wool coat with a hood, as with three boys to keep my hands on when I'm out and about, I don't have the luxury of faffing about with an umbrella.

I love this vintage Vogue pattern, but alas, it is out of print and very expensive.

I particularly like the white coat in the middle. It ticks all my boxes. Fortunately there is a modern Vogue pattern that's quite similar - same princess seams, same A-line skirt.


The red or white versions are pretty close, I think. I don't mind double breasted coats and I was never sold on the patch pockets of my inspiration coat above, so I'm happy to do without. The thing is, I'm not sure how to go about eliminating the collar and drafting and attaching a hood. It has been done before - I found this version of the coat on Pattern Review, and this is pretty much what I'm going for, but there are no construction notes. I already have a coat with a similar bodice and no collar that I can use to help me extend the front of the coat up, but I'm stumped on the hood.

So I'm hoping you guys can help me! Would it simply be a matter of finding a hood pattern piece from another coat and adding it to this pattern? Or is there some excellent tutorial out there that can hold my hand through the whole process?

No comments:

Post a Comment